Some Simple Self-Care Tips –
Having a plan can help people who experience trauma triggers from fireworks better prepare and cope. Find more self-care tips at start2heal.org.
- Find out if there will be a scheduled firework event near where you live so you can be.
- For some attending an event where you can see the fireworks and not just hear the sounds can be helpful.
- Plan to be with those you trust during the potential window for fireworks so they can provide support, and if necessary, help distract you. (You can even show them the YA resources mentioned above)
- To help reduce the intensity of the noise consider earplugs, noise cancelling headphones, and/or sound machines/sound apps. You could also choose some of your favorite music or a TV show/movie to focus on.
- If you do not feel that you can handle being in your neighborhood, reach out to the safe people in your life and plan to stay somewhere else where there might be less
- If you feel safe enough, and you think your neighbors would be open to being supportive you could do the following:
- Ask them to consider attending a community event rather than letting off individual fireworks in the
- While we can do everything possible to prepare for fireworks, it is often not the fireworks we are expecting on a given day or time that cause the most distress. It is the unexpected ones. Consider sharing this information and asking them to please consider letting off fireworks only on the 4thof July and not the days before or
- If you believe your reactions may not be helped enough by the information above, consider talking with a counselor, or your medical professional to determine if additional supports (including possible medication) may be needed to help you
- Talk with your Youth ALIVE! support staff about the potential for being triggered by fireworks so they can walk you through the following helpful tools.
- “Common Experiences after Trauma,” to help you understand some of the reactions you may have.
- “Self-Care On the Spot,” (SOS Planning), to learn self-soothing tools you may find useful. (These resources are also available at START2heal.org)
Please remember that asking for help is a sign
of strength and your Youth ALIVE! team is here to support you.